What is Cacti?, Cacti is a complete frontend to RRDTool, it stores all of the necessary information to create graphs and populate them with data in a MySQL database. The frontend is completely PHP driven. Along with being able to maintain Graphs, Data Sources, and Round Robin Archives in a database, cacti handles the data gathering. There is also SNMP support for those used to creating traffic graphs with MRTG.
Cacti is one application open source for network monitoring and create a complete network graph. This is for example :
Cacti is a complete network graphing solution designed to harness the power of RRDTool's data storage and graphing functionality. Cacti provides a fast poller, advanced graph templating, multiple data acquisition methods, and user management features out of the box. All of this is wrapped in an intuitive, easy to use interface that makes sense for LAN-sized installations up to complex networks with hundreds of devices.
- Cacti Home page (Official Website)
OK, lets go to how to install cacti on ubuntu server. I use ubuntu server 12.04. On my ubuntu server installed web server (apache, mysql, and php). There are two ways to install cacti, first use repository and second use source.
# Use repository
1. Install rddtool : apt-get install rrdtool
2. Install snmp and snmpd : apt-get install snmp snmpd
3. If you use repository type on terminal : sudo apt-get install cacti
4. And than follow instruction on your screen.
# Use source
1. If you use source, you must download on CACTI , ok save on your drive.
2. Install rddtool : apt-get install rrdtool
3. Move on your path directory web service, ussualy on /var/www . Type cd /var/www/
4.Extract file cacti , use tar zxvf /home/lab/cacti-0.8.8a.tar.gz Rename directory extrct : mv cacti-0.8.8a cacti/
5. Move on cacti directory : cd cacti/
6. Change owner file : chown -R www-data:www-data rra/ log/
7. Create database cacti, i use name cacti.
mysql> create user 'cacti'@'%';
mysql> set password for 'cacti'@'%'=old_password('cactipass');
mysql> GRANT ALL ON cacti.* TO [email protected] IDENTIFIED BY 'cactipass';
mysql> flush privileges;
8. Import database cacti.sql to database cacti : mysql -u root -p cacti < cacti.sql
9. Install snmp and snmpd : apt-get install snmp snmpd
10. Configure file config cacti with name database, username, and password : nano /var/www/cacti/include/config.php
If you finish install use reporitory or source, Access use your browser, http://ip-address/cacti , and follow instruction on web. Hopefully you will get to Cacti installation guide, if you don’t try and restart apache2 Press Next and choose new install and all next until you get to the login.
And than login with username and password : admin admin and set your password
Finish, you have Cacti on your Ubuntu Server.